After losing my first laptop out here (in the first 2 weeks), along with all the work on my USB stick to viruses and then having my phone stolen, I thought surely my bad luck with technological devices has passed...but oh how I was wrong.
I couldn´t believe my luck when my work colleague and fellow volunteer offered to lend me his spare laptop for the duration of my stay in Rwanda. I was ecstatic. Now I would have a computer in which to write and store my reports, statistics, data, and use the Internet. After only 3 weeks of this luxury...poof! Gone.
One morning I came to work, switched on the laptop and nothing...my heart sank. It couldn´t be, not again. No one is that unlucky. Yep, I truly am. But this time I had hope. Hope that the laptop would be fixed and it would only be a minor problem, boy was I wrong. After 2 months of waiting and hope in my heart I found out the tragic news one Saturday morning.
It was after 2 weeks of eating excessively, traveling and general rest that I found out the laptop had seen it´s last facebook page and would sleep the eternal sleep...bugger! I really had thought everything would be fine, so you can imagine how crushing this all was. I had nothing to use for work, nothing absolutely nothing.
I feel slightly better about the situation now, but it wont last. I am way behind on reports etc and can´t really use any computers at the District as they all have about a million viruses.
So it´s back to writing everything on bits of paper and living in the local Internet cafĂ©, praying to god that the electricity last the duration of my visit. Think of me in my hour of need.
No comments:
Post a Comment